Monday, August 11, 2014

BUS 576-6

The EIAs for week 6 were focused on human resources management. Human resources management is an extensive part of the business world. My understanding of human resources is a department of an organization that deals with the hiring and firing of employees, but human resources is so much more than that. Human resources train employees and help foster the organization as a whole. Human resources have a hand in every part of the organization. The area of human resources I am most interested in is the amount of personal growth for employees that human resources can foster.

Image Source: http://www.brainleadersandlearners.com/ellen-weber/are-you-aware/

I would like to critique the presentation on LeanIn.com about feedback. This inspired me to think about my own performance during my internships. I really enjoyed what Kyn Ward Gaffney had to say about  giving feedback and seeking feedback. I think her advice specifically about being AWARE.

AWARE includes:

- Ask for feedback
- Watch your emotions
- Ask to clarify questions
- Reach out for perspective
- Engage your potential

I actually used the AWARE method when I sought feedback during the end of my internships. I felt that by following AWARE I was met with satisfactory feedback and will apply my constructive comments to my future work.

I wanted to find an article for this week that spoke more about what to do when you receive negative feedback. I found this article on Forbes.com that shares 8 ways to turn negative feedback into something positive. My favorite piece of advice from the article is to own the action that is causing negative feedback. I think it is important to practice ownership of everything you do. I dislike when people make excuses. Another great piece of advice is to show your employers that you are open to change and capable of growth. Receiving negative feedback can be disheartening but it should be viewed as an opportunity to grow and become a better employee.

My main concern about this week's EIAs is small, but after watching a few of the human resources videos offered by Indiana University I realized how expansive the responsiblity human resources departments possess. I am curious to know how many people HR departments in large corporations keep on staff. I searched companies like Google and Koch but I was unable to find a specific number. This is the one section of this class that I found a little overwhelming because Human Resources is such a large department.


No comments:

Post a Comment